Monday, February 14, 2011

Finally--a real post!

So, let's just excuse the fact that I may actually be the worst blogger in the history of bloggers. Since I last updated, I moved from Accra to Kumasi and a ton of stuff happened. Just the brief overview is that I've taken many dance and drum classes, became conversational in Twi, figured out the tro-tro system (by some grace of god), went to Labadi Beach twice, went to two funeral ceremonies, gotten five marriage proposals, and had some ridiculous adventures. It's really nice because the SIT group is really cohesive; I can't believe it's only been two weeks. So, even though we're all in different homestays, we're became our own family.

Moving from Accra to Kumasi totally showed the difference between Accra and the rest of Ghana. Accra is insanely crowded and there isn't much natural beauty to mention. I just never really felt comfortable there. My homestay family was nice and I got along with them, but it was just a little bit off the whole time. Luckily, many people in my group felt the same way, so it was a nice change to come to Kumasi.

It's really interesting to live the simpler life here. I don't really much, surprisingly, though I would like an ice cube once in a while when it's so hot. In Kumasi, like life in Accra, I don't have running water and the most surprising part of that is how much water it actually takes to flush a toilet. It takes more water for me to flush a toilet than it does for me to take a shower. It's also cooler in Kumasi and, let me just tell you, waking up without being drenched in sweat is basically the best feeling in this entire world.

Also, in Kumasi, I should probably mention my ridiculous homestay mother, Auntie Margaret. I really have minimal words to describe Auntie Margaret, but she is definitely worth noting. Auntie Margaret is about sixty of sixty-five years old and she also has a tenant, Ahrin, who lives with us. We live about fifteen minutes drive from both of our schools here and it's nice because it's just out of the city, enough to be scenic. Oh, I should also mention that Auntie Margaret has fifteen goats. They roam in and out of the house as they please. On Saturday, it rained ridiculously hard and Auntie Margaret wasn't able to get one of the baby goats to come to her and so, sadly, it passed away. This led to all of the other goats crying throughout the night and into the morning. I don't know if you ever had to hear the magical music that is crying goats interjected by a rooster, but you should definitely at some point. Auntie Margaret also loves beer and she doesn't like to drink alone, so she always makes me have at least a sip. I told one of the staffers, Kwame, that I was living with her and he just bursted out laughing. She is very loving, though, just a bit...off. It's hilarious, though.

I really love Kumasi and can't wait to finally load pictures for everyone to see my life here!

Also, to those who emailed me, I saw them all and will respond later! I had too many to respond to since I hadn't been on really!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE AUNTIE MARGARET!!!!! GOATS AND BEER - WHAT COULD BE A BETTER COMBINATION FOR MY BABY GIRL????

    Tessie, love you forever and a day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. auntie margaret is my new role model...p.s. i will be sending you a lovely email soon. i miss you, dearie but i'm so glad to hear you're having an amazing time. love you!

    ReplyDelete